- To clean dry spots, loosen soil and vacuum away prior to moistening it.
- When taking out stains, always use a white cloth.
- Wax dropped on carpet or upholstery? Set a clean, absorbent cloth over the wax stain and hold a hot iron on it. Then remove the cloth.
- Coat mildly greasy stains with aerosol shaving cream, use a hair dryer to speed dry. Then vacuum.
- Sprinkle a greasy stain with baking soda, cornstarch or talcum powder. Leave on at least 8 hours, then vacuum.
Did you know that Bounce, the stuff you use in the dryer has many cleaning uses?
- Eliminates static electricity from your television screen. Since Bounce is designed to help eliminate static cling, wipe your television screen with a used sheet of Bounce to keep dust from resettling.
- Dissolves soap scum from shower doors. Clean with a used sheet of Bounce.
- Freshens the air in your home. Place an individual sheet of Bounce in a drawer or hang one in the closet.
- Prevents thread from tangling. Run a threaded needle through a sheet of Bounce to eliminate the static cling on the thread before sewing.
- Eliminates static cling from pantyhose. Rub a damp, used sheet of Bounce over the hose.
- Prevents musty suitcases. Place an individual sheet of Bounce inside empty luggage before storing.
- Freshens the air in your car. Place a sheet of Bounce under the front seat.
- Cleans baked-on food from a cooking pan. Put a sheet in the pan, fill with water, let sit overnight, and sponge clean. The anti-static agents apparently weaken the bond between the food and the pan while the fabric softening agents soften the baked-on food.
- Eliminates odors in wastebaskets. Place a sheet of Bounce at the bottom of the wastebasket.
- Collects cat hair. Rubbing the area with a sheet of Bounce will magnetically attract all the loose hairs.
- Eliminates static electricity from venetian blinds. Wipe the blinds with a sheet of Bounce to prevent dust from resetting.
- Deodorizes shoes or sneakers. Place a sheet of Bounce in your shoes or sneakers overnight so they'll smell great in the morning.
Cleaning Marble "MARBLE IS TRICKY, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK"
- For heavier stains on marble, take three or four cakes of Ivory soap, cut them up and dissolve in hot water until you have a "slurry." Paint this on the marble and let it sit for five days or so. If the gunk starts to dry during that time, wet it down. At the end of the period, wash it all off.
- To remove lighter stains, sprinkle salt on a fresh cut lemon. Rub very lightly over stain. Do not rub hard or you will ruin the polished surface. Wash off with soap and water.